Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Solids, Weaning and Poop Explosions!





It is a huge step; moving your baby from just milk, whether formula or boob or both, onto solids. I have to admit, being as obsessed with food and healthy eating as I am, I had both feared and been super-excited about this transition ever since Nahla was still swimming around in my belly. For starters, life is pretty cushy when your baby is still "only" milk-fed. Less mess, very convenient, and especially with breastfeeding, when you just know you are giving your baby the very best and most beneficial and nutritious thing there is. But anyway, there comes a day when your little bundle is ready to move onto more filling and -probably exciting- things. And for most mums, they find that this time comes when your baby is between four and five months old. I had read a lot about this; what signs to look out for, how do you know your baby is ready for solids, and last, but not least, what do you give her??

In my case, for the last month or so, whenever I was having a banana or an apple, or any other type of fruit or vegetable- except strawberries- I would scrape some juice onto my finger and stick it in Nahla's mouth. Sometimes she would frown and try and spit it out, but for the most part, she looked pretty delighted and happy about this new exciting taste in her mouth. Plus it gave me a chance to establish that she was not having any type of allergic reaction to anything I gave her. So far, so good.

But a couple of weeks ago I knew the time had come to start this weaning business for real. My little muffin seemed hungrier than normal. She suddenly started waking up during the night again, wanting to be fed. And she seemed to be developing an interest in food and eating. Like she would follow my glass or spoon or fork as I put it to my mouth, would stretch her little neck to get a better look. I knew it was time.

Having skimmed through both Gina Ford's Weaning book, scoped out Annabel Karmel's website, as well as chapters regarding this matter in my Jool's Oliver book and Babies for Dummies, I knew it was smart to start out with one thing, and give her just that for a couple of days before I tried yet another new thing, just to make sure her little tummy could handle this new stuff. And- most importantly- keep breastfeeding through the introduction of all these new food. "Introduce any new food under an "umbrella" of breastmilk" advised Ingrid, Best Friend and pediatric nurse. "This will minimize any possible allergic reaction and will aid her digestion in prosessing new foods." Okey Dokey, I though, I can handle this.

I decided to start with banana. I know some people will argue that this is giving babies a taste for something sweet straight off, but I want her to like fruit. I already knew she liked bananas. They are easy to mash. I had lots of reasons, plus it just seemed like a nice place to start. And after a "little" shopping trip where we stocked up on spoons, bowls, cups, little freezer cubes, a Wean Machine (more of this later!) and some VERY cute Marimekko bibs, we were good to go.

And I am happy to report it went GREAT! My little cupcake LOVES banana! Can not get enough. Once she grasped the concept of actually eating it off the spoon, she just looked so happy and proud; banana smeared all over her little face! So for a couple of days, well three or four more like it, we worked banana into our routine as "lunch", in and around 1 O'Clock. Note: I still gave her the same amount of bootle-feeds and breastfed her as normal. And it was happy days all around. Except for in the diaper department, where BIG CHANGES took place. Without going into too much detail- I don't want to gross people out- what goes in evidently must come out. And so it did. In masses. Expect leakage. And funny color. And texture. Enough said; moving on!

After a few days of banana-lunches I decided maybe it was time to also introduce some sort of baby rice. I opted for Plum Organic's Four Grain Super Porridge, which is suitable from around 4-months of age and contains organic quinoa, organic whole grain rice, organic whole grain millet, organic amaranth and also Thiamin (Vitamin B1**). I love the idea of giving Nahla only organic food. It is something I try and follow myself, and will just overall be a better tasting, more nutritious and gentler to her system way of eating. Plum Organics have a vast selections of baby foods, to suit different ages, stages and palates. Their website is well-worth a visit!

Again I am happy to report that rice, which we have started having before her bath-time around 6 PM, seems to work a treat. Nahla likes it a lot, it seems to fill her up so that she sleeps better when in bed for the night, and although a tad messier than banana, she really likes the concept of eating too. My little baby is officially now on solids! Where is the time going!?

There is a jungle of products out there for babies, many which now are of the organic kind, something I applaud. HIPP Organic is another great brand, carrying a massive selection of products. I have bought a jar of their potato and carrot mash, but have yet to try it out. As well, when we are back in Oslo, I intend to cook most of her meals myself, buying organic and in-season vegetables and fruits, and just freezing down batches as I cook them. Here Annabel Karmel's book of baby purees is a great resource and full of ideas and combinations you might not have thought of yourself.

All in all, my little munchkin and I are well on the way of weaning- and I am just buzzing with an excitement pre-motherhood reserved for Marc by Marc Jacobs sample sales only! Oh how times have changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...