Monday, May 24, 2010

Milk, Meals and Heels!



When to cut out breast-feeding? This is a much debated topic- especially in Norway where not only 99% of ALL WOMEN choose to breastfeed their babies, but where also most continue to do so- supplemented by solids after a while off course- until their babies are approaching one. I have to admit I am torn. I really don't think I would like to keep going that long, but part of me also know I will miss it when we finally call it a day. In fairness, seeing as Nahla has been getting both boob and bottle since she was born, it will more than likely be an easier transition for me than for many, but it is more me I am worried about than her. As it is, she doesn't really breastfeed during the day at all anymore, just early morning and then at night before she goes to bed. And it is as much for the closeness and comfort I think as her genuinely being hungry. Especially now that she is eating 3 meals a day, supplemented by a couple of bottle-feeds as well. My little cupcake now has fruit at 11 AM, usually pureed apple and pear, or bananas, or whatever else I think to combine. Then at 2.30 PM she has her "dinner", which at the moment consists of pureed organic carrots and potatoes. And before bed, at around 6.30 PM, she has porridge or baby rice. And she loves it all! Which makes me so happy! This whole weaning thing, which seemed like such a huge milestone, just kinda slipped right in and it now works so perfectly well with our routines for the day. Phew!

God, it makes me think of the first few weeks after Nahla was born; I felt like such a rookie-mum! And now, almost five months down the line, I feel like i was meant to do this all along! So to answer the first question; I don't think we are quite ready to give up on mummy's milk yet, neither mummy nor baby. Those moments when it is just me and her, the world sort of melts away, it feels like the closest bond anyone can ever have, and I feel blessed to have been able to experience it. Too soon it will be just memories of my little princess cuddled up close to my skin and being fed, so we are going to keep these nighttime and morning cuddles for just a tad longer!

Oh. and the heels part? Ordered the most AMAZING pair from Net a Porter last night! Too. Fab. For. Words! Paris: Here We Come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...