Thursday, May 20, 2010

Cutting Teeth and Killing Teletubbies...




Now, before you ask what sort of sick massacres is really going on chez yummy mummy and baby Nahla, let me assure you, it was a total accident. I have nothing against Teletubbies per se, although in my heart of hearts, I must admit I prefer Maca Paca and Igglepiggle, and the rest of the gang. Anywho, that is beside the point. Back to me killing off Tinky Winky. Or "The Purple One" as we mostly refer to him by. Or her, who knows. Moving on.

As you gather from the headline, Nahla has- finally- cut a tooth. A tiny little razor-blade sharp thing in the middle of her bottom gum. When I say finally it is because the last couple of nights have been a tad exhausting. Nothing severe, don't get me wrong, I have heard countless parenting horror-stories of babies in their teething fase, and believe me, this was buttons. But still, she was more unsettled than her usual calm self, cried a bit more, moved around more; you get the picture. So naturally, I was a bit more tense as well. Worried that my little munchkin was in pain. Worried about the little bout of fever she had. Was it down to the tooth or not? In general just being a total first-time mummy, floored by the prospect of my baby girl being unwell.

And this is where poor Tinky Winky comes into the picture. In my distressed state one of the last evenings, as I bundled up a pile of clothes from the bathroom floor and threw it into the washing machine, I also- by total accident, I swear- threw in the poor purple doll. Which explained the sounds coming from the washing machine, but that I just kinda ignored and turned the telly up louder as to not miss whatever it was that I was watching. And so when the wash was done, and it was time to hang it all, I discovered my crime. Tinky Winky was most definitively dead. His fluff had come off. His face was gone. Yup, he was dead alright. Being a mummy comes with all sorts of pot-holes. I mean; not only do you have to make sure you keep your baby safe and well and alive and kicking, but you also have to be on top of things in terms of keeping an eye out for their furrier friends too!

We buried Tinky Winky in the "Not For Recycling" bin the next day. Mourned him with a glass of white. Then moved on. Nahla does not seem to shaken by the loss either. Now watch your back, Maca Paca!

3 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...