Saturday, July 9, 2011

Wear With Pride


I must admit I never got too worked up over the whole stretch mark thing. My mum have none, her two pregnancies didn't leave her with any, so I figured I was pretty safe, as the argument is that they are pretty hereditary. That didn't stop me from rubbing myself with a variety of (organic!) creams every day throughout my 9-month baby-making journey. You know, attack is the best from of defense and so on. And I got away easy. A couple of tiny little lines near my hipbone. I can live with that. Easily. Because they are marks that I am a mum. I created a person. I grew a baby inside me.

Women, I think, get even more beautiful when they become mothers. All of a sudden they have this glow - and tired eyes can be hidden behind great sunglasses! But most importantly, they are all of a sudden more genuine. More caring. More kind. More beautiful - marks and all.

It baffles me how so many women hate their post-pregnant bodies. Yeah, I get that those first weeks can be a shocker. I mean; everything is kinda.. loose. Like, naively, I thought, once the baby was out, my belly would be flat again and I could leave the hospital in my J. Brands. Eh, not so much.

It takes a while. And even with time and yoga and cardio it will never be QUITE the same - although near enough so that you can live with it is perfectly fine. That doesn't mean I don't think everyone should try and be the best version of themselves that they can be. Because you should always be that. Be fit and healthy and happy and you will be one glowing gorgeous mama. And wear the marks of your pregnancy with pride - you sure have earned it!

This beautiful poem I came across on Pinterest explained it better than I could - so warm, sweet and true!

"A mark for every breath you took, every blink, every sleepy yawn. One for every time you sucked your thumb, waved hello, closed your eyes, and slept in the most perfect darkness. One for every time you had the hiccups. One for every dream you dreamed within me. It isn't very pretty anymore. But that's ok. It was your home. It held you until my arms could. And for that, I will always find something beautiful in it." - Cassie Fox.

(Picture via Pinterest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...