Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Being Scared


I know I am not alone in this. It is probably the one thing every new- and well seasoned- parent worry about the most. Cot Death. Or SIDS; Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. It is like someone is knocking the air out of me just thinking about it. Or writing the words. I can not IMAGINE how all-consumingly awful and horrific having this happen to you must be. And my heart bleeds for every parent who have lost a child or children to this unexplanatory "disease". I mean; I am so out of this world, head over heels in love with my daughter, so consumed by her, that if anything was to ever happen to her, I really don't think I would survive it. I wonder how people do; it must be the most horrific scenario ever imaginable.

I remember the first night, when we had Nahla home from hospital, putting her in her little moses basket. I think I sat next to her just making sure her little chest was rising and falling until she eventually woke again. And this happened more often than not. I just could not tear myself away, found that the only way I was able to get some sleep myself, was having her next to me in bed. Somehow it made me feel safer, like she was protected, all tucked up next to her mummy. And while I know there is no explanation for cot death, I have read enough to know there are certain factors that might play a part, and have ensured every single one of those possible links have been eliminated.

1. Keep the room-temperature down, around 18 degrees C is ideal.
2. Don't smoke. Neither myself nor BF are smoker. so that one was a no brainer.
3. Placing the baby on her back. Done.
4. Placing the baby's feet at the bottom of the cot, and tucking the duvet in, so that she can not wiggle herself under it.
5. Breastfeeding

All experts on the topic of SIDS underline that these are just some POSSIBLE links, no research has determined that any of the above have played a major part in cases of SIDS, but they are easy to follow and so should always be.

And to ease my mummy-mind even more, I invested in one of these. The Angelcare Monitor combines a sound monitor and a movement monitor in one system, and whether baby is awake or sound asleep, the Angelcare under-the-mattress Sensor Pad will detect all movements. Meaning that if no movement is detected within the last 20 seconds, an alarm will sound.
I know this might seem a tad OTT for some, but both in the UK and Ireland, as well as in the US, monitors like these are quite common, and it makes me sleep more restful, makes me feel more secure and makes me feel I am doing everything in my power to make sure my princess is safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...